PulseAudio vs ALSA output

Added by Cade Johnson about 1 month ago

Not an audiophile, just a guy; I started using Audacious a while back with Ubuntu 16.04 and running some playlists of mostly MP3 files. My computer output goes through a small amplifier to a set of speakers in my livingroom. I perceived that the volume would gradually increase and I would have to reduce the amplifier volume. It also seemed that some songs were becoming distorted, as I had enabled clipping. I was using the default PulseAudio output, but I have recently switched to ALSA output. Now volume seems steady. I have not yet listened long enough to tell if distortion effects are mitigated. Might this perceived volume increase have been a bug with the PulseAudio output? Or maybe it was a feature?! When you are rockin' out, sometimes you gotta turn it up! Maybe Audacious was simply anticipating this need? :D

Replies (2)

RE: PulseAudio vs ALSA output - Added by John Lindgren about 1 month ago

I think PulseAudio does support volume greater than 100%, which would cause clipping, but I've never seen the volume increase on its own. That's quite strange.

RE: PulseAudio vs ALSA output - Added by Taylor Hall 30 days ago

Cade Johnson wrote:

Not an audiophile, just a guy; I started using Audacious a while back with Ubuntu 16.04 and running some playlists of mostly MP3 files. My computer output goes through a small amplifier to a set of speakers in my livingroom. I perceived that the volume would gradually increase and I would have to reduce the amplifier volume. It also seemed that some songs were becoming distorted, as I had enabled clipping. I was using the default PulseAudio output, but I have recently switched to ALSA output. Now volume seems steady. I have not yet listened long enough to tell if distortion effects are mitigated. Might this perceived volume increase have been a bug with the PulseAudio output? Or maybe it was a feature?! When you are rockin' out, sometimes you gotta turn it up! Maybe Audacious was simply anticipating this need? :D

No need to be an audiophile. Play a high quality mp3 (LAME v0 best quality possible) or a FLAC file on both Banshee Player and Audacious, one is set to use PulseAudio by default and the other ALSA (at least for me, I tried to install Jack but even though I did everything in all the guides I found and tried over and over again one morning for 5 hours straight. No dice. No idea what Jack. JackMixer tells me "There was an error or Jack isn't running" So I try to start the daemon, it won't start and gives me an error I have asked for help on about 3 or 4 forums and a few IRC rooms and I either got no response or responses that didn't take into account what I said I already did, which says much about how many narcissistic personality disorder people exist in this world, likely the most common of those personality disorders.

(1-2/2)