Project

General

Constant Disk activity in Win 10 when in QT interface

Added by Sean Poust 10 months ago

Hi,

Audacious has been my favorite music player in Linux and Windows for some time now.

One of my Windows 10 desktop machines has a pretty noisy hard drive even under normal circumstances. However lately I notice it's noisier than usual because there's constant disk activity going on, when idle. Now, Windows 10 is known to always be running a lot of background processes, but this was different. A constant flashing HD light, and a noise of apparent disk writes constantly, tick-tick-tick like a clock. Not an abnormal noise like the hard drive is about to die, just the sound of constant activity.

After a lot of investigating, I finally figured out that it was Audacious that was causing this. As soon as I start it up, the noise starts, even when the player is idle. Further investigation showed that it's only when Audacious is using the QT interface that this happens. If I switch to the Winamp interface, the noise and the activity stops immediately. I updated the player to the latest version, 3.9a, but still have the problem.

That's too bad because I like the QT interface much better than the Winamp interface. I've been using Audacious on Windows for over a year, and I never noticed this problem until the past few weeks. So it's probably something that started with a recent Windows update.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue? Or can I file a bug report?

Thanks!

Replies (3)

RE: Constant Disk activity in Win 10 when in QT interface - Added by Thomas Lange 10 months ago

Do you really mean the Qt interface? The Windows version we offer use GTK+ instead. Have you compiled Audacious for Windows yourself?

And for what it's worth, QT is QuickTime while Qt is the GUI toolkit. :)

RE: Constant Disk activity in Win 10 when in QT interface - Added by Sean Poust 10 months ago

Yes, GTK+. I don't know why I said QT. No, I didn't compile it, I installed the exe. Thanks.

RE: Constant Disk activity in Win 10 when in QT interface - Added by John Lindgren 10 months ago

Can you figure out what files are being accessed? Or how to recreate the problem on another machine (or another user account)?

(1-3/3)